Friday, October 12, 2012

The Psychology of Smelly


Smelly Feet, Smelly Stockings, Smelly Socks, Smelly Shoes.

What's the big deal?  I can totally understand why certain smells in general are appealing to certain people.  The smell of your favourite dish that mom used to cook or the smell of a campfire can be very nostalgic - smells seem to have that kind of power for some people that triggers the brain and memory.

I learned in Anatomy & Physiology class years ago that there are people used in research called "Supersensors" because they have exceptionally sensitive senses of smell or taste.  

We all end up somewhere along the spectrum of smell sensitivity with some people being able to distinguish between the tiniest differences in smell [the movie "Perfume" was about a man who had this ability] and other people like my mom, who can only smell pungent things like vinegar or sour kim chi [reference to my Korean heritage].

What I'm curious about at the moment are smells that AROUSE us... and even more curious about the specific smell of strong foot odour.

I have to say that on some occasions I've been really put off by the stench of a man with particularly pungent feet after sweating in leather shoes and socks for a day.  Some smells were so strong it induced the gag reflex.  I can't imagine any woman having such a strong odour but I don't really go around smelling women's feet.

So, although smelly feet is not my thing, I have to admit that I am definitely aroused by other smells.  As I recently mentioned in my YouTube post called "Smell my feet, I'll give you something good to Eat", I like the smell of my armpits.  Especially, when they're clean but lightly scented with fresh sweat.  One day I realized the connection to my armpit smell and the smell of testicles.  

Yes, I love the smell of balls.  Please note, this heavenly aroma can easily be ruined by other "parts" in the vicinity that are not-so-fresh smelling.  I like Manimal stink, in general.  I much prefer natural body odour (as long as the guy is hygienic) over strong cologne.  There are certain colognes that I like too but if I had a choice, Eau de Man, for sure.  This doesn't mean that I like every man's smell, but it might explain why I'll choose to dance with the geeky guy over the muscular athlete ; )

I remember hearing on the radio one day that the #1 determinant in humans for choosing a mate is Smell.  This is consistent with that phrase about having "chemistry" between 2 people.  We may think we are attracted to another person primarily because of their sense of humour or their beautiful feet but according to some research that was done (don't ask me to reference this, it was years ago), the decision is ultimately made based on how much you like a person's smell.  I tend to agree with the research but I also think it might depend on how sensitive a person's sense of smell is compared to their other senses.  For example, someone who has a relatively strong sense of hearing might choose a partner primarily based on the sound of their voice.

Here's something interesting that I recently read:

Celery contains the hormone androsterone which is released when you sweat.  On a primal level, giving off this odourless pheromone can have a Tarzan effect and attract horny Janes.
I'm not sure how true this is or whether it holds the same power for females who eat celery.

So back to the smelly feet... I'm curious to know what exactly it is about smelly feet that you enjoy.

Is it because you have a poor sense of smell and need her feet to be extra stinky in order to get any foot aroma?

Is it because the smell reminds you of your hot grade school gym teacher's smelly feet?

Or because female foot stink reminds you of a woman's 
VagAroma (Yes, I love making up new words)?

This inquiring mind wants to know...

Kia

1 comment:

  1. Smell can be very arousing. Moreso for women since their sense of smell is stronger than men. Ive never been close enough to smell a Woman's feet, but I can see getting a whiff of that strong human scent combined with pheromones is enough to drive some people crazy, lol.

    ReplyDelete